How God speaks to us.
In the last post, we focused on the importance of hearing from God. We mentioned that God is always willing and wants to speak to us especially when we are in relationship with him. God wants to be a part of our lives, he wants a relationship with us, but he need us to take the first step and invite him into our lives, accepting him as our saviour and redeemer. Only then does he become our confidant. He becomes our guard and he guides our steps jealously. Before we consider ways in which God speaks to us, it is important to understand why we need to hear from God. Here are two principal reasons.
1) God has the best blueprint for our lives. He knows all about our individual past and whatever we are going through presently, he is aware of. He knows what the future holds and he has the best intentions for us. He always thinks about the best for us. In Jeremiah 29:11, the bible says
“My thoughts towards you are thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you an expected end.”
As Christians, our best bet in living a fulfilled life is relying on God for guidance and directions in all areas of our lives. He is our assurance, the author and finisher of our faith especially when we can’t see beyond the present and there seems to no way through the jungle of our fears. Habakkuk 2:1-3 says,
“For the vision is yet for an appointed time, but at the end it shall speak, and not lie: though it tarry, wait for it; because it will surely come, it will not tarry”.
2) God has promised to guide us. When we try to live our lives on our own, it could be very difficult. What better way to seek guidance and counsel from the all-knowing God who has promised not to forget or leave us. Proverbs 16:9 says“ A man’s heart devices his way, but it is the Lord who directs.” God is always more than willing to provide us with the best guidance. For the believer, God wants to direct our steps to ensure we live the best of life.
For us to hear God clearly when He speaks to us, our total attention is required. In other words, we need quietness. We need to be focused solely him. It is difficult to hear from God when we are too busy. We need to be still and know that He’s God- The prophet Habakkuk in Hab 2:1-3, deliberately had to watch to hear from God the vision that was revealed to him. We need to be intentional sometimes go to a very quiet place to hear from God. 1Kings 19:11 says,
“The Lord said, “Go out and stand on the mountain in the presence of the Lord, for the Lord is about to pass by.”
Here are some ways God speaks to us.
1) Through His Word (The Bible). The Bible has been given to us to provide us guidance on all life issues. 2 Tim 3:16 says,
“All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:”
It is essential that we understand the context in which God’s word was written and how to appropriately apply them to our lives. God’s word provides guidance around marriage, relationships, habits, business, values etc. It is the light that should guide our paths – Ps 119:105
2) Compelling Spirit. Sometimes when we pray, God can lay a strong desire in our hearts to do something. He can also guide us in other ways such as through visions, dreams, Angels, prophecies, Audible voices, etc.
3)Through the Counsel of other believers. God can also speak to us through the advice of other Spirit filled believers. Proverbs 20:18 says, “Every purpose is established by counsel: and with good advice make war”.
4) Circumstances. God can sometimes speak to us through circumstances or situations around us. He can sometimes open some doors of opportunities for us and he sometimes closes some doors that may not be too beneficial for us or align with his purpose for us.
5) Common Sense. God has endowed us with the ability to think and make God decisions for ourselves and others around us. 2 Tim 2:7 mentions that God will gives us insight to all things. He has built that instinct in us with the ability to make some decisions.
It is however important to note that God speaks to people through different ways and we should be open minded when trying to hear from God.
In conclusion, the secret to hearing from God lies in the strength of our relationship with Him, the stronger our relationship with God, the more clearly, we can hear from him through the various ways mentioned above. Start spending more time in His presence and enjoy having your spirit filled with the abundance of Christ’s love.